If you want to find great fully self-evaporating portable air conditioners with heat pump and dehumidifier all in one unit, this review may help you find it!
There are plenty of perfectly adequate portable AC units around to keep you cool in summer.
However, if you want more than just a free standing cooling machine that you can wheel from room to room, but one that can also keep you warm in winter and reduce the humidity level in your home, while not needing to be drained periodically, I have come across some models that do it all!
The models I have chosen to feature in this article have great specifications, are of good quality and are reliable and well built.
Is it Better to Buy a Multi-Function AC?
There are some pros and cons to buying a portable, self evaporating air conditioning unit that also heats and dehumidifies, providing certain advantages over less well feature-rich models. Let's take a look at these:
Let's take the pros, or advantages of a single, multi-function portable AC first.
- From a purchase cost standpoint, you will have to part with fewer dollars for a single, all-rounder unit than for several separate units to do each job. Sure, you can buy a cheap heater in many stores, but cheap usually equates to false economy and it ends up dying on you when you need it most.
- One unit takes up a whole lot less space than an AC, a heater and a dehumidifier. This can be a major consideration if you live in a small home or apartment where the available floor space is limited.
- Instead of putting away the AC when summer fades and getting out a heater when the weather turns cold, a multi-purpose unit can stay in place all-year round. That saves on the hassle of moving stuff around and finding storage space for the unused unit.
Now let's look at the cons, or disadvantages of these cooling, heating and dehumidifying units.
- The top models tend to be higher output rated and may be viewed as being too powerful for a small room, like a bedroom for example.
However, it should be remembered that these units are "free standing" and designed to be ready to move from one room to another if needed. It may spend some time in a small bedroom, but then be needed in a larger living room where the higher power rating will provide better cooling/heating as needed.
- Electricity-powered heaters are more expensive to run than their gas, oil or solid-fuel powered counterparts. A heat-enabled air conditioner may be convenient, but could also prove more expensive to run unless there is a good reason not to make use of these alternative heat sources in your home, such as restrictive clauses in rental agreements, for example.
In such a case, an electric heater may be the only allowed heat source, improving the viability of using a heat-enabled air conditioning unit.
My Top Pick Multi-Function Portable AC:
Now for my review of what I consider to be the best portable air conditioner with heat pump that also dehumidifies and is also self-evaporating (meaning this type of portable AC does not need to be drained):
Note: As a Sylvane affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Emerson Quiet Kool 14,000 BTU Smart Self Evaporating Portable Air Conditioner with Heat
Here is a highly versatile, multi-function, smart (WiFi ready) portable AC that has model options with heat to suit your needs and budget, from top appliance store online Sylvane.
This model from Emerson is a single hose, 14,000 BTU cooler with heat function rated for cooling a space of up to 550 sq ft.
This cooler also dehumidifies the air as it cools, can act as a full function dehumidifier without cooling. It can also be used as a great heat source in cold weather.
This model features a fully self evaporative condensate system that re-cycles condensed moisture by re-evaporating it to improve efficiency of the cooling process. The water vapor is then removed via the exhaust hose out of the building.
If the chore of seemingly forever emptying a water container is one you no longer want to perform, this AC does away with it!
Here are the main features at-a-glance:
- Smart WiFi enabled: Control via phone app or with voice using Alexa or Google Home
- Quiet running: (max 54 dB on full power)
- Cooling: 14,000 BTU of powerful cooling for spaces up to 550 sq ft with three fan speeds
- Fan Only: To circulate the air, there is a fan-only mode
- Heating: 7,900 BTU of heating power to keep you warm in cold weather
- Dehumidifier: Dehumidify mode can remove up to 5.3 pints of moisture per hour from the air
- Self Evaporating: No more having to frequently empty a water container (under normal cooling operation) as excess moisture is re-evaporated
This could just be the cooler with heat you really want! Please click the image above right for full details at Sylvane's website where you can buy it at a great price with free delivery (overland USA).
Friedrich ZoneAire ZHP14DB
This full-featured fully self evaporating portable air conditioner with heat from Friedrich has the added bonus of being WiFi enabled so you can operate it remotely via your phone or voice activate it via Alexa or Google Home.
It's high 14,000 BTU power output allows it to cool up to 500 sq ft with ease. This is great for larger rooms and open spaces that need the additional power for cool comfort right where you need it.
The 9,500 BTU heat pump provides much needed warmth for colder days and nights. This great feature means no additional heating appliances are needed.
Being able to heat as well as cool makes this unit a great all-year round climate controlling appliance that can stay in place ready to adjuct the indoor temperature to "comfort" whatever the time of the year.
This AC model from Friedrich has its own patented process that is capable of eliminating virtually all condensate while it produces cool air. It expels the excess moisture outside through the exhaust hose.
That means no water trays to empty or drain, saving you from that chore!
Dual hose operation means this unit always runs more efficiently and more economically than a single hose AC.
It uses one hose to draw outside air into the unit to cool, making it more effective while providing cleaner air to breathe. This is more efficient than recycling inside air that otherwise would become stale over time, as happens with single hose units.
Another great added feature is smart WiFi enabled operation. There is a downloadable app for your phone that allows you to control the AC when you're away from home.
You can set the unit's temperature and turn it off or on while you're out of the house to have a comfortably cool (or warm) home to return to after work or if you're out of the house.
You can also make use of the WiFi feature to voice control the unit with an Alexa or Google Home device. Tell Alexa to turn it up or down, off or on and the AC will obey!
Click the image or link above right to visit the Sylvane website page detailing this model with full details. You can buy this smart air conditioner online at a competitive price with free delivery, taking advantage of the great service from Sylvane!
Dual Hose Operation
Why make do with a single exhaust hose when you can have two? Wait, why would you want two hoses instead of just one?
There is a good reason for this. The increased air flow afforded by a dual-hose cooler allows the unit to work more efficiently and economically that a single-hose model.
If this sounds like it's exactly what you want in a cooler/heater/dehumidifier, click the image above right and you'll be taken to the appropriate product page at the Sylvane website where you can get the full spec and buy the unit for a surprisingly low price as well as take advantage of the free shipping offered by that store.
Sylvane is one of the top electrical appliance stores and their after-sales service is among the best of all. This is important for peace of mind when you decide to buy online, you want to be sure you're getting the best service and these guys absolutely give it!
While there will always be a need for cheap coolers or cheap heaters and stand alone dehumidifiers and they all have their place, owning a single unit that is a ″self evaporative portable air conditioner, heater, dehumidifier combo,″ that performs all three functions has many advantages.
The idea could be taken one step further with a WiFi ready smart air conditioning unit for the ultimate in convenience and comfort. While these units are relatively compact, they're not the smallest free standing AC units available, but that's a topic covered in the article I just linked to.
When you're seriously looking for the absolute best fully self-evaporating portable air conditioners with heat pump for a reasonable cost that represents great value, the models I have recommended above certainly make the grade.
Last Updated: May 21, 2022
[Back to Top]